Saturday, January 9, 2010

So, what's the deal?

Well, like the title of the blog says, this is about the business I am starting with only $100 dollars. No way, most would say. Might as well not even try, many would say. Well, maybe, but I think I have a good idea, so I'm going to give it a try.

So, what's the idea? Well, I could spend a few minutes and come up with some big paragraph full of ridiculous big vocabulary business speak, but, honestly, I hate that.

Basically, here's the deal: I'm going to use the internet to find good local deals and then either resell the deals locally or nationally using the internet. I am going to use a 2:1 ratio; ie, if it won't make double what I pay for it, I won't take it.

That's not a business, everyone does that...or can do that, or may do that. True, but there's a couple of things that might help me make a decent part time business out of this idea.

Namely, I plan on buying niche market items in the general market and then selling them to the niche market. Say what?

Ok, here's what I am planning on doing. I like scooters and mopeds. I even think old school minibikes are cool...impratical, but cool. I also like small motorcycles, the ones that most people dismiss as beginner bikes. Did you know there are thousands of websites, clubs and events, specifically for these things? There are and the owners of these scooters, mopeds and minibikes are every bit as fanatical as Harley owners.

So, by finding unwanted motorbikes, and then finding them homes with people that want them, everyone is happy.

But, here's a problem, I suck at haggling. I find no joy in talking someone down to pennies of what they were asking. So, I found a way around that, too. They tell me what they want for it and I take it or leave it.

For example, I have an appoinment to go see a small 49cc scooter, titled and running that the owner wants to sell for $100. Any search of Craigslist shows several 49cc scooters from $200 and up. So, pay $100 and sell for $200. That works for me.

Obstacles to my idea? Well, obviously, I probably won't be able to do this full time (yet) but that's perfectly fine for me. I imagine this will be a decent part time income without too many hours (I'm thinking 4 a week) doing something I really sort of like to do.

I am sure that pretty soon, I'll have to buy a business license. Not sure how much that will be, but it can't be that much...famous last words, I know.

But, long term, I have some ideas of where this could go. I can see this taking off and moving into scooter repair, scooter reselling and parts reselling at a retail type space. But that's going to be a while and is honestly nothing but a dream at this point.

But, it's nice to dream, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment